So sorry it took me so long to post, but hey! better late then never, right? 😀
So I decided to split my experience into parts 🙂 today lets start with part 1 – things I regret doing / so happy I did / wish I did 🙂
Things I loved / would do again:
1) the place we stayed. We found this cute B&B on bookings.com now truth be told it was quite nerve wracking to go to a different country and stay in a B&B. I suppose with a 4 star hotel I would have felt more secure, but the room was awesome and for Rome quite cheap. I think per night it was about 60 euros, and divided by two it was only 30. We got a small breakfast (pastry + probably the best coffee in Rome) and it only took as 15 minutes to walk to Colosseum!! It was fun to start your days with that view 😉
2) go to forums on a weekday and buy Vatican tickets in advance and for a weekday as well. The longest queue we had to stand in was 15 minutes and that is not a queue 😀 If I remember correctly we choose Monday for forums and Thursday for Vatican, really good choice because there weren’t that many people there 🙂
3) Use visitacity.com <- awesome app/site for city breaks.
Things I regret
1) Not enough research on good places to eat. Beside the first day (restaurants near Colosseum – horrible and expensive) we did quite alright, but I still regret I didn’t do more research.
2) Did you know you can’t buy ticket on the actual buss and it needs to be bought ahead of time? Care to guess how I figured that out? 😀
Things I wish I though of:
1) All in all I’m quite happy with my trip, but the last day was a lot less fun because we had to change our hotel to one closer to the airport because the flight was at 6 a.m. That was horrible (baggage storage at the train station cost 12 euros per bag and took as about 1.5h, also staff was rude and just plain horrible). I would have rather taken an indirect flight.
If you are curious in total everything cost as about 600 euros per
person 🙂 We spent 7 nights, aka 8 days in Rome. Plane tickets – 120 euros, hotels – 235 euros and food + attractions + little trinkets 245 euros 🙂